The users of Asus Google Nexus 7 are currently powered by Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean and while many would stick with the official updates, there are loads who who go for Custom ROMs. One such custom build is the CyanogenMod 10.1 (CM10.1). They have released the 5th candidate and of course there is a long way for them to go to perfect this built. You can now install the CM10.1 RC5 on Google Nexus 7 based on Jelly Bean 4.2.2 Firmware following this tutorial. Please know that this tutorial will only work for the Google Nexus 7 and do not try this on any other device. Before you begin though, you need to ensure that you have at least 50% battery left and that you have the correct USB drivers. Finally, please be certain that you have the USB debugging mode on and that you backup all the sensitive data that may be on your phone since this process will remove all your data. If you are ready, please follow the tutorial below.
- Download the firmware and save it on your computer. Please do not unzip the package; Click Here
- Download the Google Apps Package; Click Here
- Please connect your device with the computer using the USB cable provided
- Copy the packages downloaded in step 1 and 2 into the root of your device (this means no folders). After the packages are copied, please disconnect the phone from the computer
- Power off your device and restart it after 5 to 7 seconds in recovery mode. You will do this bypressing and holding the power, home and volume up buttons together until the recovery mode is activated
- Select backup and restore to create a full NANDROID backup of your device in case anything goes wrong. You will also wipe data or factory reset the phone. At this stage it is advised to wipe dalvik cache and cache partition as well
- Please head back to the main menu and select ‘ install zip from sdcard’ and then ‘choose zip from sd card’
- Navigate to where you copied the file downloaded in Step 1 on your phone and select it
- Confirm installation and please be patient while the file is installed (this might take some time)
- Please repeat step 7 and 8 for the Gapps as well
- Restart the phone at this stage and let it boot. Please be patient as the first boot will take time
- Ensure everything is functioning properly and you are done.
Disclaimer: the tools, mods and or ROMs mentioned through the course of this website belong to their owners and Rewritetech does not own anything. We are responsible for providing detailed tutorials and guides alone. In case of any damage caused to your cellphone or any device that you might be using, Rewritetech will not be held responsible. Please proceed at your own risk.